PENALTY POINTS AND SUSPENSIONS
In order to promote appropriate behavior and conduct within the Laws of the Game, VSL maintains the following penalty point system for instances of misconduct penalized within a match(es).
A. The following penalty points shall be assessed all players and coaches who are cautioned (yellow card) or ejected (red card) while participating in VSL matches:
1. First caution in a match: 2 points
2. Second caution in a match 5 points total
3. Ejection without previous caution 5 points
4. Ejection with previous unrelated caution in same match 7 points
B. Accumulation of Points
1. Penalty points shall accrue during each VSL season. A season shall commence when the first VSL match is played and shall end when the first VSL match of the next season is played.
2. A player or coach shall be suspended from participation in his/her next VSL match(es) played due to the accumulation of penalty points as follows:
a. Five (5) points or more but less than nine (9) points: One match suspension
b. Nine (9) points or more but less than twelve (12) points: Two match suspension
c. Twelve (12) points or more: Five (5) match suspension and review by R & D
3. The coach, or designee, must keep a record of his/her player’s accumulated penalty points.
4. The VSL Administrator shall review all Official Game Reports, maintain running records of point accumulations and publish the totals periodically.
5. Suspensions become effective and shall be served immediately regardless of point totals published.
Coaches and team officials shall not rely on nor await the publication of published penalty point totals to initiate match suspensions.
6. All suspensions shall carry forward until the entire suspension is served, regardless of the season or covered tournament. However, penalty points shall not accrue beyond one season.
7. VSL Matches include regular season matches, and VSL end of season tournament matches.
8. To receive credit for players or coaches serving suspension, the coach, or designee shall inform both the referee and opposing coach of the suspension(s) being served, and ensure that the suspension(s) is recorded on all three (3) portions of the match card. Any suspensions not recorded will be treated as a suspension not served.
9. Any team allowing a player, coach, or team official to participate in a league match while under suspension shall forfeit the match in which the suspended individual participates. The Club sponsoring the offending team shall be liable for any referee fees incurred.
C. Other Disciplinary Actions
1. Ejection of a player(s)
a. A player receiving a red card from the referee must sit out the remainder of that match plus his/her team’s next VSL match. No substitution may be made for the ejected player during the match in which the red card was issued. (The next match suspension is concurrent to the five-point accumulation rule as stated above. In the event a player receives a second red card in a season and accumulates a total of ten points a two game suspension would be incurred as specified above.)
b. It is the duty of the coach to withhold ejected players from the next VSL match. Any violation of this requirement will be considered a separate offense and will be forwarded to the R & D Comm. for additional action.
c. Any team allowing a player, coach or team official to participate in a league match while under suspension shall forfeit the match in which the suspended individual participates.
d. The coaches of both shall notify the referee regarding the suspension prior to the start of the match.
2. Ejection of Coach or Team Official(s)
a. A coach or team official receiving a red card from the referee must leave the field and the area surrounding the field for the remainder of the match. In addition, the coach is prohibited from participating in the next match and is not allowed to be present at the field or in the area surrounding the field. Coaches ejected from matches may be subject to review and additional sanctions.
b. It is the coach’s duty to self-impose the appropriate suspension. If a suspended coach participates, enters the field of play or the area surrounding the field while under suspension, the team shall forfeit the match.
c. The substitute coach and the opposing coach shall notify the referee regarding the suspension prior to the start of the match.
3. Two yellow cards given to the same player or coach in the same match will result in immediate ejection from the match and the rules outlined above regarding ejection apply.
4. Physical violence, foul and abusive language and/or harassment of players or referees will not be tolerated. Because of the seriousness of such instances, red cards issued during or after the end of a match, as a result of physical violence, foul and abusive language and/or harassment are subject to review by Rules and Discipline. The Board of Directors may impose additional penalties, which are not subject to appeal within VSL. Normally, the Board of Directors will conduct a disciplinary hearing when physical violence occurs before, during or after a match, to determine if additional penalties are warranted.